The IPA's Consultant Head of Digital, Nigel Gwilliam, takes part in a Q&A about SXSWi and offers advice and information about the festival in Austin.
What is SXSW Interactive?
- Every March, thousands of tech-lovers descend upon Austin, Texas for the SXSW Interactive Festival.
- Some of the world’s foremost experts in emerging technologies and digital creativity share their knowledge at more than 500 talks and workshops during the five-day festival.
- Once just for the geeks who shape our near future, it is now a Mecca for forward-looking advertising and marketing leaders too.
When does SXSWi take place?
- In 2014, SXSW Interactive takes place from 7th - 11th March.
- We recommend flying out through the day on March 6th.
Who is it for?
- For UK agencies, it is probably most suited to creatives, planners, technologists and innovation-leads.
How does the IPA support UK agency folk?
- We advise on the value of attending and the logistics of attending.
- We provide an informal support network on the ground in Austin.
- We host a website where those agency folk fortunate enough to attend can describe their experiences to the people back home.
- Listen to more about the IPA's role in SXSWi here.
What is it like attending for the first time?
- Our IPA SXSW website has a handy information page offering tips and advice to first-timers to the festival. Read it here.
How much does it cost?
- Until 6th September, the price to attend is US$795 per person. After that the price starts rising.
- Flights are currently around £700 for an economy return.
- Other than that there’s just accommodation and general expenses.
- A total cost estimate is £2,000-£2,500 per person.
Where should I stay?
- All hotel rooms within 5 miles of the Convention Centre are now fully booked.
- There are hotels left outside downtown but travel to/from these is not straightforward.
- It is worth considering renting a downtown apartment/house via AirBnB.
For more information about SXSWi contact Nigel on email@example.com. If you are a member agency and are attending SXSWi 2014 also contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For non-member agencies attending, contact email@example.com.
Last updated 13/08/2013