2009 IPA Effectiveness Awards winners announced
The winners of the IPA Effectiveness Awards, which reward campaigns that have proved the commercial power of their ideas and demonstrated their marketing payback, were announced at a black-tie gala ceremony held last night (9th November 2009) at The Hurlingham Club, London. For the first time the competition was only open to campaigns with a total annual marketing communications budget of up to £2.5 million, from UK agencies, media owners and clients.
Mediaedge:cia was awarded the Grand Prix, a Gold Award and a special prize of ‘Best Integration’ for their highly effective ‘Let’s Grow’ campaign for Morrisons. The campaign created a groundbreaking community engagement programme via a voucher redemption scheme that provided schools with gardening equipment and seeds, encouraging children to grow their own fresh produce, and helped integrate growing into the national curriculum. The communications included a partnership programme with schools, which involved government and charities, followed by a national campaign to consumers including TV, print and direct marketing. In its first year, 85 per cent of primary schools have registered, 39 million vouchers have been redeemed and the campaign has generated payback of £21.57 per every £1 spent. Mediaedge:cia were also awarded Effectiveness Company of the Year.
Said Lord Chadlington, Chief Executive of Huntsworth and Chairman of Judges for the Awards: “Congratulations to all the winners of this year’s Awards for demonstrating such impressive marketing payback on such small budgets. Particular praise must of course be reserved for the Morrisons campaign which not only ticked all of the effectiveness boxes for the judges, it was also interesting, compelling, engaging and had a green element.”
Says Andy Nairn, Executive Planning Director, Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy and Convenor of Judges: “All the entrants have shown admirable ingenuity in using their limited funds to great effect. Indeed their creative approach to problem-solving provides useful lessons for all advertisers and agencies, large and small.”
Says Tess Alps, CEO, Thinkbox; the overall Awards sponsor: “All the winners have proved themselves where it ultimately matters – on the bottom line. That's what makes these awards so important; they recognise the actual, transforming power of advertising to deliver business success. Morrisons' and Mediaedge:cia's work shows this better than any. It is also wonderful to see a media agency win Effectiveness Company of the Year.”
In total, 3 Gold Awards, 3 Silver Awards, 10 Bronze Awards, and 7 special prizes were presented.
• Grand Prix, sponsored by Thinkbox – Mediaedge:cia for Morrisons
• Effectiveness Company of the Year, sponsored by Thinkbox – Mediaedge:cia for Morrisons
• The Channon Prize for Best New Learning –DLKW for Halifax
• The Broadbent Prize for Best Dedication to Effectiveness, sponsored by Warc – British Heart Foundation
• Best Integration, sponsored by Campaign – Mediaedge:cia for Morrisons
• Best Media, sponsored by DDS – McCann Erickson Communications House (Manchester) for ‘Don’t be a cancer chancer’ (Manchester Versus Cancer Al-liance in partnership with Ashton Leigh & Wigan PCT)
• Best Small Budget – Red C for Swinton Taxi Division
• Mediaedge:cia for Morrisons
• DLKW for Halifax
• WCRS for Cycling Safety, Transport for London
• Grey London for Yoobot, British Heart Foundation
• JWT for Knorr
• Red C for Swinton Taxi Division
• Grey London for Watch your own heart attack, British Heart Foundation
• Grey London for Frijj
• Krow Communications for Nutella
• McCann Erickson Communications House (Manchester) for ‘Don’t be a cancer chancer’ (Manchester Versus Cancer Alliance in partnership with Ashton Leigh & Wigan PCT)
• Publicis for Slendertone
• Serious Ideas for London Business School
• TBWA\Manchester for ghd
• TBWA\Manchester for Resolva 24H
• Total Media and Maximuscle for Maximuscle
• UKTV and Red Bee Media for Eden and Blighty
The 2009 IPA Effectiveness Awards were sponsored by Thinkbox and supported by Warc; official publishers of the effectiveness case histories, DDS and Campaign.
To view the winning case summaries and creative work, and for further information about the IPA Effectiveness Awards, visit www.ipaeffectivenessawards.co.uk
Last updated 09/11/2009