2016 IPA Effectiveness Award winners announced
The IPA Effectiveness Awards are the world’s most rigorous industry competition that rewards campaigns that demonstrate their marketing payback. In total, 11 gold, 13 silver and 15 bronze prizes, along with nine special prizes were awarded.
The top prize of the night, the Grand Prix, was awarded to John Lewis’s agencies adam&eveDDB and Manning Gottlieb OMD for proving how their heart-warming Christmas campaigns between 2012-2015 increased sales during the festive season by 16% on average, and produced over £8 of profit for every £1 spent. As a result, John Lewis’s annual market share has increased to 29.6%, its highest level ever.
In total, 72 papers were entered into the competition and were reviewed by an esteemed panel of client and industry judges, headed up by Chairman of Judges Dame Dianne Thompson, Former CEO, Camelot, alongside Convenor of Judges, Bridget Angear, Joint Chief Strategy Officer, AMV BBDO.
Download the winning cases from www.ipa.co.uk/effectiveness/winners or WARC.
The full 2016 IPA Effectiveness Awards winners list:
Grand Prix – sponsored by Thinkbox
John Lewis, The gift that keeps on giving: John Lewis Christmas advertising, 2012 – 2015 by adam&eveDDB and Manning Gottlieb OMD
Best Commercial Effectiveness for Good (President’s Prize) – sponsored by Outsmart
Dove, Beautifully Effective: How Dove turned cultural resonance into ROI by Ogilvy
Effectiveness Network of the Year
Effectiveness Company of the Year
Best Dedication to Effectiveness (The Simon Broadbent Prize) – sponsored by Radiocentre
Best Multi-Market – sponsored by Ipsos Connect
Snickers, Thinking like a Hollywood blockbuster by AMV BBDO
Best Small Budget – sponsored by MARSH
Narellan Pools, Diving into big data for Narellan Pools by AFFINITY
Best International (The Tim Broadbent Prize) – sponsored by Warc
Speeding (New Zealand Transport Authority), Mistakes by Clemenger BBDO Wellington
The Channon Prize for Best New Learning – sponsored by Newsworks
The Economist, Raising eyebrows and subscriptions by Proximity BBDO London and UM London
- Art Fund, The art of framing by 101 London
- Direct Line, Direct Line: We Solve Problems by Direct Line Group
- Guinness, An effectiveness story Made of More by AMV BBDO
- John Lewis, The gift that keeps on giving: John Lewis Christmas advertising, 2012 – 2015 by adam&eveDDB and Manning Gottlieb OMD
- Macmillan, Macmillan Cancer Support: Making sure no one faces cancer alone, today or tomorrow by VCCP
- Narellan Pools, Diving into big data for Narellan Pools by AFFINITY
- Save the Children, Making embarrassing knitwear into something to be proud of by adam&eveDDB
- Snickers, Thinking like a Hollywood blockbuster by AMV BBDO
- Speeding (New Zealand Transport Agency), Mistakes by Clemenger BBDO Wellington
- Stoptober, Stoptober: a radical new way to get England to quit smoking by 23red and MEC London
- The Economist, Raising eyebrows and subscriptions by Proximity BBDO London and UM London
- Dove, Beautifully Effective: How Dove turned cultural resonance into ROI by Ogilvy
- John Lewis Insurance, The power of true brand extension marketing by adam&eveDDB and Manning Gottlieb OMD
- Lidl, How Lidl found itself atop the grocer's Christmas tree by TBWA\London
- L'Oreal Age Perfect, How L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect transformed its fortunes by showing older women they’re still ‘worth it’ by McCann London
- Pepsi Max, Unbelievable by AMV BBDO
- Plusnet, The pride of Yorkshire: how Plusnet's adverts transformed its fortunes, against ever-increasing odds by Karmarama and Maxus
- Sainsbury's, Christmas is for Sharing by AMV BBDO
- Sensodyne, Solving Problems, Not Selling Benefits by Grey London
- Sixt, How Sixt challenged car hire culture, and changed its fortunes by Grey London
- The Guardian & Observer, Time for transformation by BBH London
- The Royal British Legion, Fortune favours the brave by RKCR/Y&R
- Three, Sorry (not sorry) for all the holiday spam by Wieden+Kennedy London
- Wall's, Getting the long tail wagging again: How Wall’s said ‘Goodbye’ to a serious business challenge by adam&eveDDB
- Coors Light, Van Damme good results: how Jean Claude transformed the fortunes of Coors Light by VCCP and ZenithOptimedia
- Costa, Creating a nation of coffee lovers by Karmarama
- Eurotunnel Le Shuttle, Eurotunnel Le Shuttle: Engineering Success by OMD UK
- first direct, Made for millennials by J. Walter Thompson and Mindshare
- First4Adoption, Start your adoption story by Kindred
- Kenco, Coffee Vs Gangs: How a strong brand purpose changed lives in Honduras and changed fortunes for Kenco by J. Walter Thompson
- Mattessons, The Mattesson'aissance by Saatchi & Saatchi
- McVitie's, McVitie's: Waking the sleeping giant by Grey London
- Officeworks, How Officeworks realised its own big idea by AJF Partnership and Initiative
- Santander, From “who?” to hero: how Santander became king of the switchers by The Engine Group
- Spies Travels, Do it for Denmark and Do it for Mom by Robert/Boisen & Likeminded and Spies Travels
- The Conservative Party, Winning the benefit of the doubt by M&C Saatchi
- UK Government, The missing millions - giving expats their voice by Ogilvy
- Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, From manufacturer to service partner: How Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles did more with less by adam&eveDDB
- Volvo, “Or by”: how two little words made Volvo’s safety matter again by Grey London
The 2016 Awards are partnered with Thinkbox, Newsworks, OutSmart, Radiocentre, Warc, Ipsos Connect and sponsored by Marsh.
To view further details about the winning campaigns and additional effectiveness content including what the judges thought, visit www.ipa.co.uk/effectiveness/winners or WARC. You can also join the conversation on Twitter using #IPAEff.
The IPA is also publishing Advertising Works 23, which shows how marketing communications have helped organisations as diverse as Guinness, The Economist and Save the Children translate big ideas into impressive business results.
The IPA also runs the Eff Test, a qualification designed to help planners identify and evaluate the planning and effectiveness measurement techniques that are central to understanding how agencies can create effective campaigns for their clients.
Last updated 03/11/2016