IPA expands legal line-up with former Lewis Silkin lawyer Helen Bowyer
Helen is a senior lawyer with over 16 years’ experience in intellectual property, commercial, and advertising and marketing law. She joins the IPA after 11 years at Lewis Silkin LLP working for both brand clients and also advertising, design and PR agencies. Prior to that, she trained and qualified as an associate at Addleshaw Goddard.
In her new role, Helen will work with the IPA’s team of qualified solicitors*, who provide around £1 million worth of advice each year, on both marcomms and employment issues, to its members who comprise the UK’s top advertising and marketing communications agencies. Legal guidance offered ranges from the interpretation of the CAP and BCAP Codes, to data protection, television and radio clearance, to dispute resolution, conflicts of interests, and more.*
Says Richard Lindsay, Legal and Public Affairs Director, IPA: “We’re delighted to welcome Helen into the IPA’s Legal & Public Affairs team. Helen has a wealth of knowledge across the advertising legal and regulatory world. Her experience and expertise at providing practical, sensible advice will add hugely to the quality service we already provide to our member agencies.”
*The IPA Legal & Public Affairs is led by Legal & Public Affairs Director Richard Lindsay and includes Associate Director (Employment) Juliet Bawtree, Senior Legal Counsel Rebecca Chong and Legal Counsel Elizabeth Kennedy.
The IPA legal department fulfils five main functions:
- It promotes and supports the effective and flexible self-regulation of the industry.
- It provides quick, commercial legal advice to members on the law and regulation of marketing communications and on employment law in the UK, including on line guidance notes and alerts.
- It advises and assists the IPA on all legal issues.
- It aims to protect the marketing communications industry as a whole and in particular IPA members from harmful national and European legislation.
- The Legal Director is invited to advise various IPA Committees and Groups, such as the Broadcast Production Policy Group, IPA Digital and the Sponsorship group, on legal issues.
Members can receive free advice on English law and UK regulation on a wide range of subjects including:
- Copyright and other intellectual property rights
- The interpretation of the CAP and BCAP Codes
- The law relating to gambling, competitions and prize promotions
- Contractual issues including advice on the interpretation and use of the industry precedent client/agency contracts and TV Production contracts
- Data protection
- Television and radio clearance
- Complaints to the ASA
Access to Materials - Members also have access to Guidance Notes, Alerts, Legal Bites, Consultation Responses, guidance and information on Data Protection Issues and Precedent Contracts
Dispute resolution - Preliminary advice can be provided in relation to disputes and the team can also advise on suitable law firms to represent members if formal proceedings are issued against them or if they wish to issue proceedings.
Conflicts of interests - The IPA legal team are all qualified solicitors of the Senior Courts of England & Wales. They are governed by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and its Code of Conduct.
LegRegs Certificate – The IPA runs an online learning programme called LegRegs which covers basic intellectual property law and the self-regulatory codes. This programme is a mandatory IPA CPD requirement for Account Directors.
You can also follow the IPA Legal team on Twitter.
Last updated 16/08/2017