Media iQ tops latest IPA Media Owner Survey
Four media owners, Collective, Unruly, RadiumOne and Captify achieved a score of over 80%. A further eight including Quantcast, Global Radio, AOL Advertising, InSkin Media, Spotify, Dennis Publishing, Teads and Telegraph.co.uk, all achieved more than 70%, while only two were rated below 50%.
While Media iQ lead Ad Networks, Exchange & Sales houses, AOL Advertising continues to lead the online pure plays with a score of 78.1% and Global Radio lead crossover media owners with a score of 78.7%.
Other key findings:
- In addition to leading the overall “Grand Prix” category, Media iQ tops a further six categories (Communication of New Opportunities, Ease of Contact, Regular Face-to-Face Contact, Agency/Media Owner Partnership, Mid-Campaign Support and Post- Campaign Support).
- Unruly tops three categories (Understanding of Client Objectives/Strategies, Understanding of Own Products and Dispute Resolution) while InSkin Media leads Response to Brief and Collective leads the Provision of Creative Solutions.
- Telegraph.co.uk leads the other cross-over media owners in demonstrating a good understanding of how cross-media opportunities can be exploited.
- Sky Digital Media has seen an improvement of 10 percentage points or more across nine categories while Yahoo! has seen a similar level of improvement across six categories.
- Channel4.com has seen a decline of 10 percentage points or more across six categories, Amazon, five categories, Ad2One/Ebay and Twitter four categories and MailOnline/Associated three categories.
See the full results here.
Says Nigel Gwilliam, IPA Consultant Head of Media and Emerging Technology, "Coming top in only their second year on the survey is a fantastic achievement for Media iQ, especially given they backed it up with the lead place on six other categories. They are now setting the bar, but it is also great to see Yahoo and Sky Digital Media working hard on service levels, improving in 13 and 12 categories respectively."
Says Pete Robins, IPA Digital Media Group Chairman and Managing Partner Agenda 21, “This survey provides a chance for some media owners, particularly the likes of Media iQ, Collective, Unruly, RadiumOne and Captify to get the glory they rightly deserve for their hard work. It also gives Media Owners such as Sky Digital Media and Yahoo! a chance to show their improvement, whilst helping others see where things aren’t working so well and where they can and should improve. All this of course we hope will help to increase the standard of digital advertising overall. I look forward to seeing how they incorporate this feedback going forwards – something which I hope they will demonstrate through entering this year’s Media Owner Awards.”
Details about the 2016 IPA Media Owner Awards
The 2016 Media Owner Awards which launched today are based on the findings from the Survey (a combination of spring, autumn and year-on-year results) as well as eight submission-based awards which are open to enter from today.
There are eight submission-based awards:
- Best Online Campaign
- Best Cross-Media Campaign
- Best Unfeatured Media Owner
- Best Technology
- Unsung Hero of the Year
- Sales Newcomer of the Year
- Rising Star of the Year
- Commercial Director of the Year
The shortlist will be announced in October and the winners will receive their trophies on 15th November in an awards ceremony and dinner.
Full entry criteria are available at www.ipamoa.co.uk.
Fieldwork was undertaken in February 2016 with 328 survey responses received from digital planners, strategists and buyers in media agencies and digital specialists.
Last updated 25/04/2016