Zaid Al-Zaidy’s 5 tips for greater diversity
Says Zaid: “Diversity in our agencies will help fight brand commoditisation, avoid groupthink and be the source of those surprising and different ideas. But the practice of diversity is complex and hard, with many barriers that need overcoming.”
To succeed he recommends:
1) Ignore the cynics, the procrastinators, the charmers and change resistors
2) Encourage our leaders to take responsibility for the nurturing and championing of the long-term health of our industry
3) Prove the commercial and creative case for diversity
4) Inspire and enable people with different ethnic background to join our industry
5) When in advertising, do as the Americans do
Read the full article on Campaign.
The IPA has recently set an ambitious diversity target for its member agencies, that by 2020, 15% of people in leadership positions should be from a non-white background. This is in addition to the IPA’s existing commitment to help the industry recruit 25% of new joiners from BAME backgrounds by 2020.
It has also published a survey revealing the ethnic diversity representation within its biggest agencies, and across the industry in its latest IPA Agency Census.
Last updated 29/01/2016